Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Derby racin'

From Derby

Pay and her dad had a splendid good time designing, cutting, sanding, painting, and especially decorating their first Derby car.

With Bob's lack of skills and experience, I must admit, I was a little worried about the outcome.

Mama was impressed with the final result. But no one was as happy and as excited as Miss Payton, herself.

The big Derby race happened the night of her birthday. I'll never forget my girl standing shoulders hunched, mouth turned upward in a smirk, cheeks ever so flushed, utterly embarrassed.....

as the entire crowd sang her the merriment song.

After that, the race was on, and much to our surprise, her Derby car won two races.

Yup, that put her right up there in the Top Ten.

Unfortunately, the W's stopped there.

But hey, there were no sore losers in this household that night, which really is a feat in itself.

Just before we went upstairs to retire to our beds, everyone took one last look at the car, sitting right smack in the middle of the kitchen table, in all its fluorescent green glory.

The kids were wide eyed and chuckling as their irreverent dad summed up the provision,

Holding it high in the air he shouted, "BAD ASS meets BLING!"

Prudish me shook my head and rolled my eyes, but showered with bedazzled jewels and accompanied by fire blazin' stickers,

I had to agree.